You may have wondered why I haven’t been posting anything for a week. Part of me felt like, with the rush of assignments and classes you are currently going through, one blog post a week would be enough and not too overwhelming. But the other part of me was like, I just don’t feel like it.
I haven’t been feeling like myself lately. With all the unexpected things that life throws our way, you may not always feel like yourself too. That’s why I want to write about self-care today.
Self-care is listening to your body and mind, to your personal needs, so as to be the best version of yourself out there in terms of health and wellness.
Often, we put work and achievements above everything. We don’t sleep to get the grades we want. We fail to eat properly. We discard our emotions. But if we keep doing that, at the end of the road, we’ll end up breaking down. Burning out.
It is not selfish to practice self-care. Can you really take care of others if you are not well? On the contrary, allowing yourself to take care of yourself will pay off in better work and results in the future (because that’s what we all want as students, right?).
So I’ve compiled a list of ways you can practice self-care, especially if you’re a university/college student. I’ve focused mainly on mental self-care. But the list is not definite. Everyone’s needs and preferences are different. In the end, it’s up to you to find what works best for you.
Here it goes (in random order).
1. Go offline for an hour or so.
2. Grab a book you’ve been dying to read… and immerse yourself in it.
3. Listen to your favourite songs and sing along.
4. Cook or bake. Prepare breakfast. Make coffee/tea.
5. Do nothing for a while. Let yourself listen and feel. (That’s what mindful meditation is about actually).
7. Go outside. Walk around.
8. Meet a very close friend of yours. Meet people you care about. And talk it out.
9. Go for a movie you’ve wanted to watch for a while.
10. Buy your favourite ice cream.
11. Write it all out. Pour everything in a notebook.
12. Help someone. Volunteer.
13. Buy that piece of clothing you’ve been eyeing for a while.
14. Look at something cute.
15. Laugh out loud. Watch a comedy sketch.
16. Plan a trip (whether you decide to go or not).
17. Cuddle. Hug someone. It could be your friend or your pet.
18. Pamper yourself. Dress up.
19. Dance. Move it.
20. Lie on the grass and look at the sky.
21. (Not for everyone, but backed by science:) Have sex.
Yes, I threw in an additional one, because I found it in an article and we’re all grown-ups here. 😉
This list was brought to you by my own experience, Pinterest and science.
I hope this was helpful. Feel free to add your own items to the list. Please share them in the comments below if you’d like!
D. K. Waye.
(Please check your inbox to confirm your subscription, thank you!)